Monday, March 5, 2012

Bedside

Elementary school art teachers are fond of saying "It's not the product but the process" -- it's not so much what the finished art object looks like, but rather that the child enjoys the creative experience itself. The poem-pair below shows how a poet can focus either on a process or on an end-result.

In Sharon Olds' poem "The Race," the speaker relates a (literally) breath-taking journey through an airport and then onto an airplane in order to reach the bedside of an ailing father. Olds conveys the travail through her choice of particular details: the rush, the panic, the running, the suitcase banging against her, and the last dash into the airplane just as the gate is closing. Note how she uses an almost religious tone:

                I blessed my
    long legs he gave me, my strong 
    heart I abandoned to its own purpose . . .

               Like one who is not
    too rich, I turned sideways and
    slipped through the needle's eye . . . The jet
    was full, and people's hair was shining, they were
    smiling, the interior of the plane was filled with a
    mist of gold endorphin light,
    I wept as people weep as they enter heaven,
    in massive relief.

In contrast, Jane Hirschfield's "Talc" spends very little time getting to the bedside

                 Twenty minutes
    and I was gone, there was a plane,
    and another, there was a friend who took
    me to you, you were asleep.

and instead focuses on the experience of being at the bedside. And that experience, while visceral, is also intuitive:

                 They had washed you,
    I barely noticed the yellow stains and the blood
    that remained on your skin. They had cut you,
    I did not see the bandages holding the length
    of the chest, they lay where I should have been
    lying, I did not understand . . .
    The slash stapling the crease of your thigh was
    nothing. When the nurse turned the white valve
    near the collarbones' nest before opening one
    on the wrist, there was not one cell of my body
    that needed to understand . . .
    I waited. I knew that the sweetness I smelled
    on your body was powder, was baby powder, I did
    not understand, but I knew that they had given you back
    to this world for a second time and I waited
    for you to agree. I waited for you to open your eyes,
    a first time, then another, another. I waited until
    you were sure, until every part of you stayed.


The Race  (Sharon Olds) 


When I got to the airport I rushed up to the desk,
bought a ticket, ten minutes later
they told me the flight was cancelled, the doctors
had said my father would not live through the night
and the flight was cancelled. A young man
with a dark blond moustache told me
another airline had a non-stop
leaving in seven minutes. See that
elevator over there, well go
down to the first floor, make a right, you’ll
see a yellow bus, get off at the
second Pan Am terminal, I
ran, I who have no sense of direction
raced exactly where he’d told me, a fish
slipping upstream deftly against
the flow of the river. I jumped off that bus with those
bags I had thrown everything into
in five minutes, and ran, the bags
wagged me from side to side as if
to prove I was under the claims of the material,
I ran up to the man with the white flower on his breast,
I who always go to the end of the line, I said
Help me. He looked at my ticket, he said
Make a left and then a right, go up the moving stairs and then
run. I lumbered up the moving stairs,
at the top I saw the corridor,
and then I took a deep breath, I said
Goodbye to my body, goodbye to comfort,
I used my legs and heart as if I would
gladly use them up for this,
to touch him again in this life. I ran, and the
bags banged me, wheeled and coursed
in skewed orbits, I have seen pictures of
women running, their belongings tied
in scarves grasped in their fists, I blessed my
long legs he gave me, my strong
heart I abandoned to its own purpose,
I ran to Gate 17 and they were
just lifting the thick white
lozenge of the door to fit into
the socket of the plane. Like the one who is not
too rich, I turned sideways and
slipped through the needle’s eye, and then
I walked down the aisle toward my father. The jet
was full, and people’s hair was shining, they were
smiling, the interior of the plane was filled with a
mist of gold endorphin light,
I wept as people weep when they enter heaven,
in massive relief. We lifted up
gently from one tip of the continent
and did not stop until we set down lightly on the
other edge, I walked into his room
and watched his chest rise slowly
and sink again, all night
I watched him breathe. 

    (from  The Father, page 26:  Alfred A. Knopf, New York, NY ©1992)


Talc  (Jane Hirshfield) 

 

 When you phoned I was far, and sleeping,
but they brought me the message and I ran,
I ran to the phone where you were,
you were speaking, we two were speaking,
when I ran back to the room I no longer
knew we would speak again. Twenty minutes
and I was gone, there was a plane,
and another, there was a friend who took
me to you, you were sleep. I didn’t know
there was still any question, I only learned
later, everything later, weeks later I was
still frightened of all that I learned.
I swear though I knew it was there I scarcely
saw the hose taped to your mouth, its ridges
that breathed in case you did not; scarcely saw
the twin tubes coming out of your chest or
the blood running through them and into the pump
that returned to your wrist, quietly, steadily,
what belonged there. The slenderer tubes
that entered the side of your neck I scarcely
noticed; not the empty ones waiting for something
not needed, not the ones drawing fluids
from three labeled bags. They had washed you,
I barely noticed the yellow stains and the blood
that remained on your skin. They had cut you,
I did not see the bandages holding the length
of the chest, they lay where I should have been
lying, I did not understand. I did not see
the wounds on your side where some scalpel or saw
had been dropped or some heated or iced tool
had burned. The monitor’s chiming was nothing,
someone would come, they would turn it off.
The slash stapling the crease of your thigh was
nothing. When the nurse turned the white valve
near the collarbones’ nest before opening one
on the wrist, there was not one cell of my body
that needed to understand. I barely felt the bars
where my hand fitted into your hand, the rail
that days afterward still tracked my cheek.
The urine that drained to the sack below us must
have been warm, I must have touched it, I should
have known it was warm with your warmth but I did not.
I waited. I knew that the sweetness I smelled
on your body was powder, was baby powder, I did
not understand, but I knew they had given you back
to this world for a second time and I waited
for you to agree. I waited for you to open your eyes,
a first time, another, another. I waited until
you were sure, until every part of you stayed. 

    (from  The Lives of the Heart, pages 105-106:  Harper Perennial, New York, NY ©1997) 


No comments:

Post a Comment